Monday, January 30, 2012

Spain Travel - Asturias: The Hotel La Cepada in Congas de Onis

On May 27, 2010, my last day in Oviedo, the capital of Asturias, had arrived. After a nice breakfast I checked out of the Barcelo Oviedo Cervantes Hotel and started driving through the mountains towards a village called Arriondas. On my schedule for this rather drizzly and cool day was a canoe run down the Sella River with an outdoor adventure company called Fronteraverde. When I arrived there before noon, Juan Feliz, the owner, informed me that a big group had already left to go down the river. The prospect of staying dry on this clammy day seemed rather exciting, so Juan and I started working on an alternate program for today. Since Juan has grown up in this area he has indepth knowledge of local attractions and places to visit. So we started to work on an alternate independent sightseeing program for me and he suggested that I explore the main town of Cangas de Onís, the historic village of Covadonga and the nearby mountain lakes Enol and Ercina which are jointly called the Lagos de Covadonga, I thanked Juan for his suggestions and started my drive to Cangas de Onís where I checked into my hotel for the next two days, the Hotel La Cepada. Located on a hillside above Cangas, a mountain town of about 6700 people, Cangas de Onís has huge historical significance as the capital of the Kingdom of Asturias, which was established in 722 AD after the first major victory by a Christian military following the Islamic conquest. Built in 2001, the Hotel La Cepada has a gorgeous ...

No comments:

Post a Comment